Tingewick

Introduction

Church: St Mary Magdalen

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2178

Easting & Northing: 465232

Grid Ref SP650320 Click to see map

Names

 

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Tingewick PARISH St Mary Magdalen
Tedinwiche NAMES name for Tingewick in Domesday Book in 1086
Independent/URC NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1872
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1820. Rebuilt 1863
Wood Farm PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 642
1811 711
1821 832
1831 866
1841 911
1851 877
1861 914
1871 945
1881 787
1891 714
1901 635
1911 663
1921 593
1931 566
1941 N/A
1951 1297
1961 755
1971 764
1981 810
1991 836

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Tingewick   St Mary Magdalen   Baptisms   1560   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tingewick   St Mary Magdalen   Marriages   1560   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tingewick   St Mary Magdalen   Burials   1729   1905   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Tingewick   St Mary Magdalen   Burials   1560   1681   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 GROVE DURRANT HOLTON HOLTON
2 PERKINS MARKHAM STEEDEN SMITH
3 MARKHAM HORWOOD SMITH DURRANT
4 DURRANT STOCKLEY BUTCHER STEEDEN
5 JEFFERY SMITH LUCAS MARKHAM
6 COWLEY PERKINS NEAL LUCAS
7 AYRES STRANGE ADAMS BUTCHER
8 BROWNE GROVE CROSS CROSS
9 TUTCHIN HOLTON POLLARD NEAL
10 REEVE CROSS PETTY HORWOOD

 

description

Description of Tingewick, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish, which lies on the western verge of the county, contains 2,290 acres and 914 persons. The soil is clay and sand, and there are about 250 acres of woodland. Rateable value, £2,873.

The village is large and contains several genteel residences. It is situated on the high road from Buckingham to Oxfordshire, 2.75 miles W. by S of Buckingham. The Manor House, resident of Jonathan Arnatt, Esq., (as lessee under New College), is situated on the north side of the churchyard, and is an ancient building. In the east front a mullioned window of four lights remain.

The Living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford; valued in the King's books at £12 16s 3d., and now worth about £500 a year. The present Rector is the Rev. John Coker. The parish was inclosed under an Act passed in 1773, when an allotment of land was assigned to the Rector in lieu of tithes.

The Rectory house, on the N.W. side of the churchyard, is a handsome building of stone, erected in 1854, in the Elizabethan style. It is situated in pleasant grounds, through which there is a carriage way. The house is placed upon a commanding eminence, and the views from it, embracing Stowe Park, are pleasing and extensive. The National School, erected in 1828, is a stone building, covered with thatch.

Education

Tingewick Parish (Pop. 866)

Five Daily Schools, one of which is endowed for the instruction and clothing of 12 boys ; two others contain 22 children of both sexes; another (commenced 1820), 15 children; the other (commenced 1827), 12 children. In the last four Schools the children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

One Sunday National School, in which 140 children receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.