Notes on Turville

Description

Description of Turville, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

In ancient records the name of this place is variously spelt Therfirld, Tyrefield, and Tyrefold. The parish lies on the verge of Oxfordshire, and extends over an area of 2,315 acres, of the rateable value of £1,456. The number of the population at present is 437. Many Roman copper coins, chiefly of the middle Empire were found here in 1772. The Village is distant 6 miles W.S.W. from High Wycombe, 7 miles N. from Henley-on-Thames, and 8 miles N.W. from Great Marlow. The greater part of the houses of the parish are at the Heath, North End, and South End, two to four miles from the parish church.

The Living is a discharged Vicarage, rated in the King's Books at £10 12s. 3d. The tithes were commuted for a rent charge of £93, and there are 46 acres of glebe. Richard Ovey, Esq., is a patron; and the Rev. Richard Wallace Deane, the Vicar. The Rectory and advowson belonged, from a very early period, to the Abbey of St Albans, and so continued until the general suppression of Religious Houses in the reign of Henry VIII. The Vicarage was augmented with £100, left by the Rev. Francis Edmonds, Rector of Fingest, in 1729/ Part of the present glebe land was purchased with this bequest.

The Vicarage House, situated at the west end of the churchyard, is a neat residence, of brick and flint, covered with tiles.

Education

Turville Parish (Pop. 442)

One Daily School, wherein 10 males and 16 females are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Sunday Schools, one with about 24 children, who are instructed at the expense of the clergyman ; the other (commenced since 1818), is supported by John Butlin, Esq., and consists of 6 males and 6 females.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.