Turweston

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Brackley

Size (acres): 1295

Easting & Northing: 460237

Grid Ref SP600370 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Turweston PARISH St Mary
Turston NAMES name for Turweston in 1732
Turveston(e) NAMES name for Turweston in Domesday Book in 1086
Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1861

 

Links

Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial Buckinghamshire Remembers - War Memorial
Turweston WW2 Airfield Turweston WW2 Airfield
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass
Search The National Archives for Turweston Search The National Archives for Turweston

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 211
1811 252
1821 314
1831 371
1841 361
1851 322
1861 335
1871 362
1881 305
1891 269
1901 257
1911 243
1921 201
1931 208
1941 N/A
1951 208
1961 226
1971 199
1981 211
1991 186

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Turweston   St Mary   Baptisms   1695   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Turweston   St Mary   Marriages   1575   1850   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Turweston   St Mary   Burials   1696   1934   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HAYNES WEBB COLEMAN COLEMAN
2 BARRETT BLABEY SOUTHAM SOUTHAM
3 HARRIS BUTCHER LAW WEBB
4 TAYLOR GREEN YATES YATES
5 YATES TAYLOR BANDY LAW
6 WEBB YATES CANNING BANDY
7 KNIGHT BARRETT BLAKE SAMMONS
8 ARCHER SOUTHAM WARR WARR
9 JAKEMAN HAYNES GEARY CANNING
10 BUTCHER BALDWIN SAMMONS BLAKE

 

Description

Description of Turweston, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Turweston parish lies at the extreme north-western verge of the county, and of the Hundred of Buckingham; separated on the west from Brackley, in Northamptonshire, by the river Ouse. Area, 1,240 acres; rateable value, £1,599; population , 355 souls. The Buckinghamshire Railway passes through the corner of the parish. The soil is principally clay, with a limestone bottom.

The village is small, and situated one mile E. from Brackley. On the village green are five large and remarkably fine elms of uniform appearance.

The Manor House, the residence of John Stratton Esq., is a handsome building situated in a park or lawn of 35 acres. The river runs in front of it. The mansion was, during several years, occupied by Lord Viscount Hillsborough, allied by marriage to the Dentons of Hillesden.

The Rectory House was built in 1855, and is a large commodious residence, situated a little eastward of the church.

The school is a small stone building covered with thatch, erected in 1838. It is intended shortly to build a new school-house with a residence for teachers. In 1762, the Rev. William Fairfax bequeathed the sum of £100, the interest to be expanded in the education of poor children. The Rev. Thomas Causton, the late Rector, invested £100 for the benefit of the poor of the parish.

Education

Turweston Parish (Pop. 371)

One Daily School, containing 20 males and 5 females. This School is endowed with £5 per annum; the residue of support is paid by the Rev. Dr. Causton.

Two Sunday Schools, wholly supported by Dr. Causton, wherein 28 males and 34 females are instructed.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.