Castlethorpe

Introduction

Church: St Simon and St Jude

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1372

Easting & Northing: 479244

Grid Ref SP790440 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Castlethorpe PARISH St Simon and St Jude
Thrupp NAMES name for Thorpe in 1616
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1841. Restored 1888

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 260
1811 242
1821 348
1831 366
1841 365
1851 346
1861 338
1871 366
1881 329
1891 441
1901 539
1911 514
1921 463
1931 461
1941 N/A
1951 501
1961 492
1971 530
1981 721
1991 671

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Baptisms   1562   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Marriages   1563   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Castlethorpe   St Simon & St Jude   Burials   1562   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PARRAT NICHOLS COWLEY NICHOLS
2 PARRATT PANTER NICHOLS COWLEY
3 EARLE NICHOLLS HARRIS PANTER
4 DENTON CHURCHILL PANTER HARRIS
5 JOHNSON HARRIS COMPTON NICHOLLS
6 COLLISON KITELEE NICHOLLS PARRAT
7 PANTER JOHNSON RAINBOW TOOTH
8 WARREN NEWBERRY TOOTH RAINBOW
9 TRAVELL PARROTT GREGORY DENNY
10 MILLS PARROT GOSTELOW JOHNSON

 

Description

Description of Castlethorpe Parish from J. J. Sheahan in 1861.

 Castlethorpe parish is separated from Northamptonshire, on the west, by the Towe rivulet; and is bounded on the south by the Ouse. Its area is 1,380 acres; population, 346; rateable value, £4,198. It is intersected by the London and North Western Railway. The soil is chiefly a rich loamy clay, and there is an abundance of limestone. Castlethorpe was formerly was formerly a chapelry to Hanslope, but in modern times it became, in secular matters, a distinct parish. The place derives its name from the ancient Castle of the Barony of Hanslape or Hanslope, which stood here.

The village is neat and compact, and lies 3 miles N.N.E. from Stony Stratford, and 3 miles N. from the Wolverton Station, on the above mentioned railway.

The Castle stood near the village, and was the seat of the Manduits: its site exhibits traces of very extensive buildings.

 

Notes

Castlethorpe is one of the most northern villages of Buckinghamshire. It is bounded in the west by the river Tove which separates it from the Northamptonshire village of Cosgrove. It is intersected by the main railway line between London and the north of England. At one time Castlethorpe was part of Hanslope and a large and impressive earthwork of the motte and bailey castle is reputed to be Hanslope Castle. The castle was the seat of the Manduit family and has had a chequered career.

The church of St Simon and St Jude stands within the fortifications of the castle and parts of the church date back to Norman times. Over the centuries considerable alterations have taken place within the church. At one time there was a west gallery in the church which was known by the congregation as the 'fishes pew'. It was occupied by the Eel, the Pike and the Whiting families.

In 1905 a spark from a passing train set fire to houses in North Street having 'jumped over' the houses in South Street. The women and children were given hospitality by neighbours and the men were allocated the waiting room in the railway station. This was the second spark since the turn of the century to cause fire in the village. Most of the menfolk worked either in Wolverton railway works or on the land, but as the century has moved on so have the occupations. In spite of the fact that the railway station was closed in the 1960s Castlethorpe is now quite a 'commuter village'. Farming still plays a large part in the village life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Castlethorpe Parish (Pop. 366)

One Sunday School, consisting of about 25 children; the master is allowed 1 s. 6d. a week by the parish.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.