Denham

Introduction

Denham Parish

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 3939

Easting & Northing: 504187

Grid Ref TQ040870 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Denham PARISH St Mary
Deneham NAMES name for Denham in Domesday Book in 1086
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: c1790. Originally terraced cottage
Doggets Farm PLACE within the parish
Rush Green PLACE within the parish
Savoy Farm PLACE within the parish
Southlands PLACE within the parish
The Lea PLACE within the parish
Wadley Court PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 796
1811 1000
1821 1189
1831 1169
1841 1264
1851 1062
1861 1068
1871 1234
1881 1254
1891 1242
1901 1146
1911 1290
1921 1498
1931 2609
1941 N/A
1951 4852
1961 6861
1971 7543
1981 6831
1991 6525

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Denham   St Mary   Baptisms   1569   1911   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Denham   St Mary   Marriages   1569   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Denham   St Mary   Burials   1569   1880   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 HAMPTON KEDGE ROBINSON KEDGE
2 BEEDELL SMITH BARRETT ROBINSON
3 CARTER CHAMBERS TURNER TURNER
4 NEWMAN ROBINSON KEDGE CARTER
5 PRATT HARRIS PEVERILL SMITH
6 TURNER HANKINS CARTER HARRIS
7 BOWYER GROOM PRIEST BARRETT
8 BOWDEN TURNER HEARN STEVENS
9 SMEWEN NASH HARRIS PEVERILL
10 JENNINGS BOWYER STEVENS ROGERS

 

Description

Description of Denham from Sheahan, 1861.

Denham is bounded on the east by the Colne, which divides it from Middlesex. Its area is 3,905 acres; and population 1,070 souls. It extends southward to the town of Uxbridge, which is entered from it by a stone bridge of seven small arches, across the Colne and the low grounds. The Grand Junction Canal passes through the parish. The village is seated in a beautiful valley 2.5 miles N. by W. from Uxbridge, and 7 miles E. by S. from Beaconsfield.

Denham Place is the seat of B.H.W. Way, Esq. The mansion was built by Sir Roger Hill, on the site of the old Manor-house of the Peckhams, and is a large red brick building with stone dressings, having north and south fronts. It contains a Chapel, fitted up in the style that prevailed in the reign of Elizabeth. The house was the residence of Lucien and Joseph Buonaparte in 1836; and was frequently visited by Captain Cooke, the circumnavigator, and Sir Humphrey Davy.

Denham Court, the seat of its owner Nathaniel Grace Lambert Esq., is a brick mansion much modernised, and is approached by a fine avenue of lime trees.

Notes

Since earliest times Denham has been owned or visited by many famous people. Connected for centuries to Westminster Abbey, Denham played host to visiting abbots and later, when ancient Savay Farm became a convalescent home for nuns, it is pleasant to imagine the nuns sporting themselves beside the river as their health improved.

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Denham was leased to Sir Edmund Peckham, Master of the Mint to Henry VIII, and his son, Sir George, is believed to have entertained Queen Elizabeth I at Denham. If so, Sir George must have overspent on his entertaining, because his estates were seized by the Crown in 1596 for debt, and leased to Sir William Bowyer.

Great Royalists, the Bowyer family lost their fortunes during the Civil War and sold the Manor of Denham to Sir Roger Hill, who built the lovely Denham Place, at a cost of £5,591.16.9d., between 1688 and 1701. Very little changed since 1770, Denham Place has recently received a million pound face-lift by the Sheraton Hotel Management Corporation.

While Denham Place was being built for him, Sir Roger Hill lived in Hill's House, a beautiful mid-17th century red-brick house with Dutch gables, situated in the village street, close to the church. Hill's House is now owned by Sir John Mills, the famous film actor, who could be seen on his doorstep every Village Fayre Day, presiding over his popular Bottle Stall.

In 1250 a charter for a weekly market and an annual fair was granted to the Lord of the Manor. The annual fair continues to this day and every year we enjoy stalls, bands, Punch and Judy shows, bouncy castles and roundabouts on the Village Green, presented to the inhabitants of Denham by Herbert Ward in 1952, and refresh ourselves at the three excellent old pubs grouped around the Green.

A quarter of an hour's stroll from the village green, back along the Pyghtle, takes a visitor to the oldest building in Denham -Savay Farm. Built on the site of the original Manor House, the farm was fortified and once surrounded by a moat.
Originally a great hall built on Sarsen stones with many very ancient timbers, Savay Farm has been added to over the centuries. At one time Savay Farm was a common lodging house, charging 4d. a night without supper and 6d. a night with supper, and the present owner possesses a notice board requesting lodgers not to wear their boots in bed. During his Black shirt days, Savay Farm was owned by Sir Oswald Mosley.

Not all of Denham is ancient. Close to Savay Farm lies our 'village within a village' the Garden Village of the Licensed Victuallers, of beautifully laid out retirement homes for ex-publicans. Once a year, each July, the Homes hold a garden party and become a mecca for beautifully dressed ladies and their escorts to enjoy their reunions. A few years ago the Duke of Edinburgh opened the garden party by driving in an open carriage through the streets of Denham.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Education

Denham Parish (Pop. 1,169)

One Daily School, containing 16 males and 16 females, supported by an endowment amounting to twenty guineas per annum, with a house and garden for the master and mistress, and the privilege of taking other scholars.

Two Day and Sunday Lancasterian Schools,
one (commenced 1826) contains 80
males daily, with about 10 additional on Sundays;
the other (commenced 1827), 70 females daily and 10 in addition on Sundays; both supported by subscription, in aid of which each child contributes two-pence per week, and both have lending Libraries attached.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.