Ellesborough

Introduction

Ellesborough Parish

Church: St Peter and St Paul

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Wycombe

Size (acres): 3595

Easting & Northing: 483206

Grid Ref SP830060 Click to see map


Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Ellesborough PARISH St Peter and St Paul
Ellesborowghe NAMES name for Ellesborough in 1580
Ellysburgh NAMES name for Ellesborough in 1509
Esenberge NAMES name for Ellesborough at Domesday Book in 1086
Turwick NAMES name for Terrick in 1825
Aspley PLACE within the parish
Beacon Hill PLACE within the parish
Buckmore End PLACE within the parish
Busheylays PLACE within the parish
Butlers Cross PLACE within the parish
Chalkshire PLACE within the parish
Chequers (Part) PLACE within the parish
Coombs (Part) PLACE within the parish
Dunsmore (Part) PLACE within the parish
Nash Lee PLACE within the parish
North Lee PLACE within the parish
Terrick PLACE within the parish
Whorley Wood PLACE within the parish
Widnell Wood PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 480
1811 469
1821 581
1831 665
1841 708
1851 782
1861 724
1871 703
1881 608
1891 641
1901 577
1911 519
1921 590
1931 628
1941 N/A
1951 828
1961 819
1971 800
1981 827
1991 771

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Ellesborough   St Peter & St Paul   Baptisms   1603   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Ellesborough   St Peter & St Paul   Marriages   1575   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Ellesborough   St Peter & St Paul   Burials   1603   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SMITH ALLEN FLITNEY ALLEN
2 NEIGHBOUR SMITH ELDRIDGE ELDRIDGE
3 CLARKE ELDRIDGE BIRCH SMITH
4 BUTLER ALDRIDGE JOHNSON KING
5 ALLEN KING KING FLITNEY
6 EGLETON ADAMS WHEELER ALDRIDGE
7 ELDRIDGE WELLS GARNETT BIRCH
8 WADE HITCHCOCK LANE JOHNSON
9 HILL GINGER ALLEN ADAMS
10 TOMLINS TAYLOR FLEET WHEELER

 

Notes

Ellesborough is beautiful. The church of St Peter and St Paul, rising on its own hillock from the flat vale of Aylesbury, is set against a backcloth of hills. Beacon Hill and Coombe Hill rise above it. The focal point on the latter, the South African War Memorial, is visible for many miles.

It is a favourite place for locals and the view is breath-taking. From there, Chequers, the country home of Britain's Prime Ministers, can be glimpsed. It is in Ellesborough parish, and many Prime Ministers and visiting notables have attended the church services.

The friendly church ghost is said to be the Rev. Robert Wallis, rector of Ellesborough before the Civil War. He was seen on the path up to the church by the present rector not long ago.

The almhouses opposite the church are set in a colourful garden which is tended by the inhabitants. The building is known as 'Lady Dodd's Cottages'.
Down the steep hill is Ellesborough Manor, which has been a home for retired clergy, their wives and widows since 1950.
At St Peter's Cottage there is an aviary of beautiful white doves and down the first lane off the B4010 Mr Will Thomson breeds and delights in prize-winning pigeons. This lane leads to Springs, a fine house, 16th century with Edwardian additions. Immediately below a sheer drop in the lawn, four springs dramatically form the source of the stream called Bonnybrook.

A chain of ponds follow, the last of these being Ellesborough mill pond. The Mill was burnt down by a tramp in 1937.
Further down the Upper Icknield Way is Butlers Cross. This is the hub of the village. The much used Ellesborough village hall, the Russell Arms (the only public house) and the shop and post office are all here. The village hall, built in 1910 by public subscription, is a hive of activity.


Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Ellesborough from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Ellesborough parish is situated on the north side, and on a spur of Chiltern Hills. Its southern part rises into irregularly shaped hills, the northern portion is nearly level, and the soil accordingly varies. In the inferior grounds it is an argllaceous loam, interspersed with limestone; and in the higher lands, mostly chalk, gravel, and flints of various thickness. The area of the parish, including the hamlet of Dunmore, is 3,310 acres; population, 723; rateable value, £3,465.

The village is scattered and stands 2.5 miles W. by S. of Wendover, among the hills on the verge of the Vale of Aylesbury. At Butler's Cross, about a quarter of a mile from the church are a number of houses - the principle part of the village.

 

Education

Ellesborough Parish (Pop. 665)

One Sunday School, in which about 56 children of both sexes receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.