Fingest

Description

Description of Fingest from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Fingest parish lies on the verge of Oxfordshire, and contains 1,304 acres, and 352 inhabitants. The Church, glebe-house, a farm residence, and two cottages constitute the village, which is distant 6 mile E.N.E. from Henley. Most of the other houses are at Cadmore End, a recently formed ecclesiastical district. The valley from Fingest to the Thames, four miles in extent, is very pretty

The manor house, on the north side of the Church, has been plain old mansion, but it is now in ruins.

The rectory of Fingest-cum-Ibstone (for upon the formation of the Cadmore End district the rectory of Ibstone was united to that of Fingest) is in the patronage of the Bishop of Oxford and Merton College, alternately; and the present Rector is the Rev. George Augustus Baker. The Rectory is rated in the King's books at £6 7s. 11d. The tithes of Fingest have been commuted for $188; but two-thirds of that rent charge has been transferred to the incumbent of Cadmore End.

The Rectory House is occupied by the tenant of the glebe land, and the rector resides at Ibstone.

 

Notes

Fingest is a huddle of houses centred around the Norman church with its unusual saddle-back roofed tower. No doubt this community came into being here because of the several springs which are still around, which would have been a convenient supply of water.

The surrounding farm land is basically chalky, but there is both silt and gravel close to the water sources. The poorer tops of the hills are rough pasture or woodland, mainly beech, but in recent times some conifer has been planted.

Fingest Manor of comparatively recent birth, is set on the site of an old abbey. There are stories of tunnels from the abbey to the church and of course ghostly ladies who roam around. The original name of Fingest Manor was Tingehurst which was once the name of the village. At the entrance to the driveway to the house is the old village pound. Stray animals were collected up and put in the pound and no doubt a fine of some sort would have been paid to get them out again.

Apart from the church which is within the Hambleden Valley group of churches, the meeting place in Fingest is the Chequers Inn.
Early in the century it is said that there was a tiny school, run by the incumbent of the church, in what is now the old rectory. Alas no school now, not even a village hall.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Fingest Parish (Pop. 340)

Three Daily Schools, in which are collectively 36 males and 19 females; one is endowed by the Rev. Francis Edmonds, for the education of 6 males and 6 females, the rest of the children are paid for by their parents.

One Sunday School, consisting of 80 males and 108 females, supported by subscription.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.