Ickford

Introduction

Ickford Parish

Church: St Nicholas

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 1025

Easting & Northing: 464207

Grid Ref SP640070 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Ickford PARISH St Nicholas
Brisenden NAMES name for Brissenden in 1825
Brisendon NAMES name for Brissenden in 1826
Hickforde NAMES name for Ickford in 1526
Iforde NAMES name for Ickford in Domesday Book in 1086
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1825. Now a cottage
Particular Baptist NON-CONFORMIST South End. First Mentioned: 1845
Brissenden (Fm) PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 271
1811 308
1821 324
1831 382
1841 374
1851 398
1861 416
1871 398
1881 354
1891 345
1901 319
1911 279
1921 264
1931 265
1941 N/A
1951 270
1961 254
1971 417
1981 563
1991 609

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Ickford   St Nicholas   Baptisms   1562   1894   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Ickford   St Nicholas   Marriages   1562   1836   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Ickford   St Nicholas   Burials   1563   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 IVES COLES CHERRY HERRING
2 COLES HERRING DOVER COLES
3 PHILLIPS EDWARDS FREEMAN CHERRY
4 BROWNE CASEMORE BUNCE DOVER
5 WESTON PHILLIPS TIPPING FREEMAN
6 DOVER SMITH FULLER TIPPING
7 ROBERTS CROSS HERRING BUNCE
8 TIPPING JUDGE WAY FULLER
9 TURNER NORTH NELMS WAY
10 SMITH RICKETTS ARCHER ARCHER

 

Description

Ickford is a small village surrounded by pasture grazing for cattle, sheep and horses.

The River Thame is the boundary between Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, and every August since the Queen's Coronation in 1953 there has been a tug of war between Tiddington in Oxfordshire and Ickford in Buckinghamshire, over the river. One team, if not both, end up in the river! People from both villages come to watch the pull and make it a fun evening.

We have two public houses, The Royal Oak, and The Rising Sun. They are well known in the village as good meeting places and both are old country landmarks.
We have a lovely Village Hall, built by the men and women of Ickford. Lots of hard work went into this hall and it is used by many village societies.
Ickford has a lovely old church, dedicated to St Nicholas. The date of the first church here is not known but it was probably of wooden structure built in Saxon times.

The earliest part of the present church is the chancel, the centre aisle of the nave and lower part of the tower date from about 1170 to 1190. Ickford church escaped the wholesale restoration inflicted on so many medieval parish churches in the 19th century. In this case, poverty proved a blessing! Between 1902-1911, it was sensitively and carefully restored under the direction of Mr Oldrid Scott, who managed to preserve most of the genuine medieval features.
Gilbert Sheldon (1598 to 1677) was Rector of Ickford and later became Archbishop of Canterbury, from 1663 to 1677. He gave a lovely chalice and platter, which we have on show at Christ Church, Oxford, as we thought it better to let people see how lovely it is.

This is a happy and caring village with a mixture of new and old houses. We have young families and elderly folk all enjoying village life.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Notes

Description of Ickford from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Ickford, with the hamlet of Draycot, contains 1,249 acres and 415 inhabitants. Rateable value £1,950. The parish lies on the boarders of Oxfordshire, from which it is seperated by the River Thame, and its name is derived from a Saxon word signifying a watery way or passage (through the Thame). The soil varies from a rich loam or clay. The western portion of the parish is sometimes called Great Ickford, or Church Ickford, from the church being there; the northern part, Ickford Prava; and between them a portion called Middle Ickford. In the latter part is a bridge over the stream to Draycott, which is within the limits of Oxfordshire.
The village is scattered and retired, and lies 4 miles N.W. of Thame, and 14 W.S.W from Aylesbury. Ickford has been supposed the place of a treaty between King Edward and the Danes in 907. The village is very subject to floods, though during the summer months the inhabitants have a poor supply of water, and frequently for two or three months together they obliged to draw their supplies from the river Thame, half a mile distant.
The Manor House is situated in that part of the village called Little Ickford, and bears the date 1676. It is a considerable building, once handsome, with large chimneys. The stairs and balusters are large, and of oak, and two of the rooms retain the old oak wainscotting. In the garden is an old yew tree, curiously formed. The house is now in the occupation of Mr. Henry James Fuller, farmer.
On the south side of the church a handsome house, in the Gothic style, was erected in 1850. It is the property of George Guy, Esq., and the residence of the Misses Guy.
Near the banks of the river, and at a short distance from the bridge that connects this county Oxfordshire, are the remains of some Earthworks, of which nothing is known. In removing a portion or the embankments about thirty years ago, it is stated in the neighbourhood, that a fire place formed of stone was discovered, together with some bones, supposed of animals, in a calcined state.

Education

Ickford Parish (Pop. 382)

Two Daily Schools; one (commenced 1825) contains about 20 children of both sexes; the other (commenced 1831), 8 males and 4 females, whose instruction is paid for by their parents.

One Sunday School, with 16 males and 14 females; supported by the clergyman.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.