Lillingstone Lovell

Introduction

Lillingstone Lovell Parish

Church: St Mary the Virgin

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1269

Easting & Northing: 471240

Grid Ref SP710400 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Lillingstone Lovell PARISH St Mary the Virgin

 Tab Links

Links

Village History Village History
Search The National Archives for Lillingstone+Lovell Search The National Archives for Lillingstone Lovell
Buckinghamshire Remembers - St Mary the Virgin Buckinghamshire Remembers - St Mary the Virgin
Church Stained Glass Church Stained Glass

 

Photographs

Photographs in our Gallery Photographs in our Gallery

These links will take you to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Bucks FHS is not responsible for nor has any control over the content of these sites. If any of these links do not work please let us know. It would be helpful if you could say which parish you were viewing and the name of the link which is broken.

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 135
1811 144
1821 160
1831 159
1841 140
1851 171
1861 185
1871 152
1881 161
1891 156
1901 137
1911 131
1921 127
1931 143
1941 N/A
1951 117
1961 143
1971 107
1981 123
1991 132

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Baptisms   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Marriages   1558   1840   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Lillingstone Lovell   St Mary the Virgin   Burials   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 EDKINS KEY SCOTT BALDWIN
2 SPENCER EDKINS ATTWOOD EDKINS
3 GREY HIND BALDWIN KEY
4 COLES BALDWIN COX SCOTT
5 STEERE POLLARD WARNER ATTWOOD
6 LONG PETTIFER RIDGE WARNER
7 WOODWARD TILLY BUCKINGHAM SPENCER
8 HARROLD GARRET LLOYD RIDGE
9 CURTIS ATKINS HOLLYOAKE COX
10 BENNET GIBBS HURST POLLARD

 

Notes

Lillingstone Lovell is one of the most ancient and unspoilt villages in Buckinghamshire. At the time of the Domesday Book it was known as Lillingestane, and about 1431 it became the property of the Baronial family of Lovell, since when it has been called by their name.

Perhaps it was the plentiful supply of water from the brook and the spring that enabled the early farmers to settle here on the edge of the great Whittlewood Forest that covered the area in early times. To this day farming is the main livelihood of the local people.

The beautiful old village church, which has been the centre of the village life through the ages, is the third church to be built on the present site. No trace remains of the original building. Of the second church built in 1210, the tower and porch arch remain and are incorporated in the present building. The monuments and hatchments within recall the history and generosity of the local notables.
In 1546 the. Manor was given by the king to Sir Nicholas Wentworth and remained in the possession of this family until 1784.

The most famous member of this family was Sir Peter Wentworth, member of the House of Commons for Tamworth. He bore a conspicuous part in the attempt to resist Cromwell's encroachment upon the rights of Parliament. From the interest on money he left the parish, stem the Wentworth Charities.

The family lived in a mansion, built in the reign of Henry VIII, that stood behind the present Hall Farm. The last of the Went-worths bequeathed the estate to a relative. Shortly after his succession the Manor House was demolished, and the beautiful avenue of trees cut down. The foundations of the old house can still be seen in dry weather.

In 1836 the estate was bought by a member of the Delap family. Major James Bogle Delap and friends carried out an extensive restoration of the church in 1891.
The village has altered very little in appearance in the last 120 years. It is in a conservation area, and housing development is not permitted except for one or two dwellings built for agricultural workers.

The Church of England school was built in 1850, and the porch added in 1905. It remained as a school until 1916 when the children were moved to Lillingstone Dayrell school. An old log book, kept by the mistress, shows that the making of bobbin lace featured largely on the girls' curriculum. Lace making was a cottage industry for women, whilst the men worked on the land.

An event in 1923 changed the outlook and status of the village. The Manor and village farms came on the market when the estate was broken up. Some tenants bought their farms, and some people bought their houses. There was no longer a squire to rule the village and require the children to attend church and Sunday school — whether they would or no!

In a way this event brought a certain stability to the village. At the present time, some farms have been in the same family for three generations.
In the 1930s the village ghost appeared at the house of two old ladies up at Briary. People came from Northampton to see the lady on a white horse, but the ghost was exorcised once and for all when it was disclosed that the image was caused by trick photography!

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Lillingstone Lovell by J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

Prior to the year 1844, this parish, which lies at the N.E. angle of the hundred of Buckingham, was a detached portion of the county of Oxford; as Caversfield, near Bicester, Oxon, belonged to Buckinghamshire. In the above year, and under the Act 7 and 8th Vict. c 61, the parish of Caversfield became incorporated with the county of Oxford, the ecclesiastical jurisdiction or right of patronage, not however being interfered with. Although Bucks has been thus deprived of this outlying section, it has nevertheless received in return an equivalent by the annexation, under the above Act, of the parish of Lillingstone Lovel – the ecclesiastical jurisdiction, &c., remaining as hitherto. Lillingstone Lovel adjoins Lillingstone Dayrell. Its area is 1,269 acres, and the numbers of its inhabitants is 185.

The village is situated midway between Buckingham and Towcester, being about 5 miles from either town.

This place belonged to the King at the time of the Domesday Survey. In 1279 the Manor passed into the family of D’Anesi, or Dauntesy, after whom it was called Lillingstone Dauntesy. About the same period it was known as Lillingstone Magna, and the adjoining parish of Lillingstone Dayrell, was then called Lillingstone Prava. In 1352, Thomas Ferrares died seised of this manor, and it afterwards came into the possession of Alice Ferrares, the favourite of King Edward III. About the year 1366, William Lovell, of the baroniel family of Minster Lovell, obtained “a grant of free warren over all his manor and lands in Lillingstone Dauntesy.” In 1431, John, the tenth Lord Lovell, became possessed of the estate, and his successor, Francis, Lord Lovell, the favourite of Richard III., being slain at the Battle of Stoke, in 1488, his estates were escheated to the Crown. 1546, King Henry VIII. gave this manor to St Nicholas Wentworth, in exchange for other lands; and in 1682 it passed by marriage to John Creswell, who took the name of Wentworth in addition to Creswell. William Wentworth Creswell died in 1784, bequeathing this manor and estate to his brother-in-law Major Drake, for life, with remainder to his cousin, the Hon. Edward Onslow. Whilst in the possession of the latter, the estate fell into neglect, the family mansion, erected in the time of Henry VIII. was pulled down, and much ornamental timber destroyed: while the deer park was broken up and converted into fields and meadows. In 1821, the estate, including the whole of the parish (except 40 acres of glebe, and several acres of woodland belonging to Sir Charles Mordaunt, Bart., and the lands in the adjoining parish of Lillingstone Dayrell, and Leckhampstead, was purchased by James Boyle Delap, Esq. of Stoke Park near Guildford, who died in 1850, and left it to his widow for life. After the decease of this lady it came to its present possessor, the Rev. Robert Delap, of Strabane, Co. Donegal, Ireland, nephew of J. B. Delap, Esq.

The present Manor House, comfortable dwelling, does not appear to have ever been sufficient importance to be the seat of the proprietor; though it might have been occasionally occupied by the lords of the place.

The living is a Rectory, rated in the King’s Books at £8 9s. 4.5d. Patron, the Lord Chancellor; Rector, Rev. William Lloyd. The tithes have been commuted for £183 13s., and there are about 40 acres of glebe land.

The Church (St. Mary) is composed of the usual parts of a parish church. The tower is probably of the time of Henry III., and the body of the building is of the date Edward II. or III. The tower contains four good bells (re-cast in 1693), and the “ringing-in-bell.” The church was entirely repaired in 1777, with foreign oak. The window and door-way of the rood-loft yet remain. The east end of the aisles were formerly chantry chapels; the piscinas and seats for the priest remain. The aisles are divided from the nave by three pointed arches on each side, springing from octagon pillars with plain capitals. There are three monumental brasses in the floor, in the 15th century, and several monuments of lords of the manor and others.

The Rectory House stands near the church in an elevated position, and commands a good view of the surrounding country.

The school was erected in 1850, by subscription, with a residence for the teacher. In 1675, Sir Peter Wentworth bequeathed to this parish and to that of Wolstan in Warwickshire conjointly, the sum of £300, the interest to be applied in apprenticing poor children. And to the parish of Lillingstone Lovell he left a further sum of £100, the interest to be given to the poor of St. Thomas’s Day.