Middle Clayton

Introduction

Middle Claydon Parish

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 2640

Easting & Northing: 472225

Grid Ref SP720250 Click to see map 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Middle Claydon PARISH All Saints
Claindone NAMES name for Claydon in the Domesday Book in 1086
Balmore Wood PLACE within the parish
Knowl Hill PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 103
1811 129
1821 160
1831 136
1841 127
1851 165
1861 146
1871 139
1881 225
1891 227
1901 231
1911 257
1921 195
1931 160
1941 N/A
1951 181
1961 177
1971 150
1981 156
1991 123

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Middle Claydon   All Saints   Baptisms   1540   1812   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Middle Claydon   All Saints   Marriages   1538   1835   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Middle Claydon   All Saints   Burials   1539   1821   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 KING HINTON STEVENS HINTON
2 VERNEY ROADS HINTON ROADS
3 ROADS WEBB ROADS WEBB
4 GIBBS STEVENS WEBB STEVENS
5 HICKS BUTCHER LESTER KING
6 BARTON WELHEAD CROSS VERNEY
7 ROADES LAKE VERNEY BUTCHER
8 MAY MILLER BECKETT HICKS
9 BUTTERFIELD WELLHEAD KING MILLER
10 BUTCHER DANIEL JUDGE GIBBS

 

Notes

Our village has no actual centre as such, but covers a large area, with a population of approximately 150. At one extremity we have Verney Junction, a handful of cottages which once housed railway employees, and a public house. The railway was axed by Beeching in 1967. There is one large house, probably an ex-farmhouse.


Claydon House has been home of the Verney family from the 17th century. It is now a National Trust property, although the Verney family occupy the South Wing. The cobbled courtyard probably looks similar to the days when dairying, laundry and carpentry were carried out. Views from the house over gardens, lawns and fields lead the eye to the three lakes, which years ago supplied the household with fish. Fishing is now confined to clubs, but a great variety of birds breed and dwell among the little islands.

Beside Claydon House stands All Saints church, with its 15th century tower, and painted ceiling in the chancel. High on the East Wall is the Gauntlet of Sir Edmund Verney, King's Standard Bearer, who was killed at the Battle of Edge Hill - his body was never found, only his hand, still clutching the Standard

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Middle Claydon from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

From its situation between East Botolph and Steeple Claydon, this parish is denominated Middle Claydon. Its area is 2,586 acres; population, 146; rateable value, £3,352. It has for part of its border a very ancient vicinal way called Three points Lane. The soil is clayey, intermixed with gravel and sand.

The village is small, but very neat, and lies 4 miles W. S. W. from Winslow, 6 miles from Buckingham, and 8 miles N. N. E. of Aylesbury.

The present mansion, of which the south wing forms part, is a noble structure. It contains several splendid apartments covered with richly carved wood-work, and having fine chimney-pieces. The grand staircase, of mahogany, is inlaid with ebony, ivory, and woods of various colours, and has a richly wrought-iron balustrade representing standing corn (on spiral springs), which bends and rustles as a person ascends. This stair-case is lighted by a beautiful dome, in which there is much rich carved work.

The Benefice is a Rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £15, and now returned at £540 a year. Patron, Sir Harry Verney, Bart.; Rector, Rev. William Robert Fremantle. The advowson has always been appendant to the possession of the manor. The tithes were commuted about twenty-five years ago. The Rector of Middle Claydon holds likewise the united benefice of East and Steeple Claydon.

The Rectory House, rebuilt by the patron is 1825, is a large and handsome residence, situated in a part of the grounds of the mansion house, near the road from East Clayton to Steeple Claydon.

The School, built by Sir H. Verney, is close to the village, and is a neat building, now covered with ivy. It includes a residence for the teachers. The average number of boys and girls in attendance is about 90.

 

Education

Middle Claydon Parish (Pop. 136)

One Daily School (commenced 1827), in which are 60 males and 30 females (many from other parishes;) supported by Sir Harry Verney, and penny weekly payments from the children;

Sunday School, for this and the parish of East Claydon, wherein 100 children receive gratuitous instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.