Newton Longville

Introduction

Newton Longville Parish

Church: St Faith

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Newport Pagnell

Size (acres): 1735

Easting & Northing: 484231

Grid Ref SP840310 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Newton Longville PARISH St Faith
Neutone NAMES name for Newton Longville in Domesday Book in 1086
Newnton NAMES name for Newton in 1526
Ticheforde NAMES name for Tickford End in Bomesday Book in 1086
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Ebernezer Chapel. First Mentioned: 1850
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1830. Rebuilt 1864
Bandland Cottage PLACE within the parish
Tickford End PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 459
1811 486
1821 486
1831 473
1841 565
1851 595
1861 547
1871 537
1881 471
1891 415
1901 424
1911 435
1921 434
1931 472
1941 N/A
1951 601
1961 871
1971 1709
1981 1901
1991 1915

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Newton Longville   St Faith   Baptisms   1560   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Newton Longville   St Faith   Marriages   1560   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Newton Longville   St Faith   Burials   1561   1883   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

School

School Records Project

Place   School Type   Name   Start Year   End Year   Indexed   Document Type
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1873     1902        
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1902     1916        
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1916     1936        
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1936     1958        
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1958     1970        
    Newton Longville         Newton Longville     1970            

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 COOKE WILLISON YOUNG WILLISON
2 COOK HALL PERRY TOMPKINS
3 HAWKINS TOMPKINS TOMPKINS YOUNG
4 TOMPKINS HORNE LINE HORNE
5 BRINKLOW CHILTON HORNE PERRY
6 TOMKINS PAGE DICKENS COOKE
7 HART SMITH WILLISON SMITH
8 WILLIS HART FRENCH HALL
9 KING MATTHEWS ARNOLD DICKENS
10 WILLISON HAWKINS SMITH COOK

 

Notes

Although there is evidence of early occupation the recorded history of the village does not begin until the invasion of England by William the Conqueror. Walter de Giffard had provided ships and had also been the sword arm of the Conqueror. He was given much land which included Newton Longville. Walter de Giffard was the founder member of the abbey of Santa Foy in Longueville in Normandy. Before he died in 1104 he endowed the abbey with his land in Buckinghamshire to his son, also named Walter de Giffard. He was to found an alien priory or cell in Neutone subordinate to the abbey in Longueville on condition that the prior would send monks to Neutone to build a church and teach the inhabitants of the village. The name Longueville was added then. A pension of £l.6.9d was ordered to be paid to the abbey in Longueville by the priory at Neutone. After the suppression of the priory this was paid to New College, Oxford and is paid to the present day.

Our village was once very small. In 1841 there were 110 houses with a population of 475 and 7 ale houses. The industry then was farming with lace making and plait. Now our village is large with a population of about 2,500. We have a flourishing brickyard and because of our nearness to the railway, many villagers are able to commute each day. With this expansion, most of our ancient buildings have gone. We regret losing our blacksmith's shop which was 800 years old. We had a dove cote which was the only timbered one in the county, and old thatched houses, but with progress we now have water from taps instead of pumps and wells, and gas and electricity instead of open fires, street lights and buses. Memories of the old village are sweet and still remain with many old inhabitants.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Newton Longville - Description from J.J Sheahan, 1861.

Newton, Newenton, or Newinton Longville, or Longueville contains 1,718 acres, and 595 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £1,638. The soil is clay intermixed with course sand. The village is situated 3 miles S.W. from Fenny Stratford. In September 1818, a calamitous and accidental fire broke out here which consumed several cottages; but a liberal subscription was raised for the relief of the distressed thereby occasioned. The parish was inclosed in 1839.


The Rectory House is a commodious resistance of red brick, with extensive red brick, with extensive pleasure-grounds attached. The school is a neat modern building of brick. It is conducted on the national system, and is attended by about 60 children. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel here.


The poor widows of the parish have a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by AllenFuller.

Education

Newton Longville Parish (Pop. 473)

One Sunday School, consisting of 38 males and 43 females, supported by voluntary contributions.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.