Upton cum Chalvey

Introduction

Church: St Mary

Hundred: Stoke

Poor Law District: Eton

Size (acres): 1943

Easting & Northing: 496179

Grid Ref SU960790 Click to see map

Places

Places

NameTypeNote
Upton cum Chalvey PARISH St Mary
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST Windsor Road. First Mentioned: 1891. Built 1905
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST Church Street. First Mentioned: 1852
Plymouth Brethren NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1880
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST William Street. First Mentioned: 1848. Built 1877
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST Ledgers Road. First Mentioned: 1847
Bayliss PLACE within the parish
Chalvey PLACE within the parish
Eton Union Central Workhouse PLACE workhouse in Albert St. now Upton Hospital
Merton Grange PLACE within the parish
Mirk PLACE within the parish
Salt Hill PLACE within the parish
Slough (Part) PLACE hamlet in parish, now a parish in a town
Upton PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note Slough
1801 N/A
1811 N/A
1821 N/A
1831 N/A
1841 N/A
1851 N/A
1861 N/A
1871 N/A
1881 N/A
1891 8713
1901 N/A
1911 14982
1921 20285
1931 33530
1941 N/A
1951 66471
1961 80811
1971 87075
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Slough   St Paul   Baptisms   1899   1901   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Upton cum Chalvey   St Laurence   Baptisms   1539   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Upton cum Chalvey   St Mary   Marriages   1860   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Upton cum Chalvey   St Laurence   Marriages   1539   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Slough   Congregational (URC?)   Burials   1859   1914   Not available   Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Upton cum Chalvey   St Laurence   Burials   1539   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Slough   Congregational(URC?)   Burials   1859   1914   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 PITT PITT SMITH SMITH
2 BELL SMITH STEVENS BROWN
3 WOODWARD HOUSE BROWN PITT
4 HUSE BROWN JOEL STEVENS
5 BAVIN WEBB HARRIS JOEL
6 READE GRANTHAM HOWSE HARRIS
7 PURSER BALDWIN WILDER HOWSE
8 NEWINGTON HUNT CLARK CLARK
9 DUCK PURSER ATKINS WILDER
10 BALL JOEL KNIGHT PURSER

 

Description

Description of Upton-cum-Chalvey from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

Upton parish includes Chalvey, nearly the whole of Slough and part of Salt Hill. The area is 1,950 acres; population (including 214 persons in the Eton Union Workhouse), 4,690; rateable value £17,613. The village adjoins Slough and is 3 miles N.W. by W from Colnbrook. There are about 126 acres of this parish in Bulstrode Park.

Upton Court, near the church, and now a farm house (an old fashioned structure) is attached to a Manor-farm belonging to Lord Harewood. Upton Park, which was opened in 1842, consists of about 33 acres of tastefully laid out grounds, and about 30 good residences. There are two lodges to it with a reading-room library, and billiard-room.

The Vicarage is in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Thomas Champnes. Impropriator, William Boncey, Esq. The tithes have been commuted. The living is rated at £6 17s., and worth about £260 per annum.

Slough is a long and scattered town, on the Bath road, and, as before stated, is mostly in Upton parish; a small portio of it only being in Stoke Poges. It is distant 1.5 mile N. from Eton, and 2 miles N. from Windsor, and 21 miles W. from London. There was formerly a Market here for cattle. The town has been lighted with gas since 1847. The Slough Station of the Great Western Railway is close to one end of the town, and near it is a handsome hotel; there is a branch line to Eton and Windsor from this station. The Independent Chapel was erected in 1853, at a cost of £2,300; the Rev G. Robbins is the pastor. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1847, cost about £400. There are National Schools fro boys and girls attended by nearly 200 children; and there is also a British School. The Mechanics Institute numbers up to 200 members, and the library consists of nearly 800 volumes. The tastefully laid out Nursery Grounds at the east end of the town add considerably to the beauty of the place.

A plain brick house on the Windsor road, called Ivy House, was the residence of Herschel, the astronomer; and in the garden of this house his great telescope was set up. Here most of the discoveries of that great man were made, including that of the new primary planet, Uranus. The Workhouse of the Eton Poor Law Union is situated in Slough, and is a large brick building, fitted to accommodate 400 inmates.

Chalvey is a large scattered village, about 1 mile from Upton old church, and a like distance from Slough. Here a Church has been erected (1860-61), at the cost of about £2,000, on a site given by Mrs Beauchamp of Finefield House. It is a neat little Gothic edifice, of flint, with stone and brick facings, and consists of a nave, and a turret at the west end carrying two bells.

A National School is to be built near the church. There is here, at present, an Infant School. A Dissenting Chapel here, built by the Independents in 1835, has been sold to the Primitive Methodists. A small Temperance Hall was erected in the village in 1848.

 

Education

Upton Parish, with Chalvey Hamlet, part of Salt Hill, and part of Slough (Pop. 1,502)

Two Daily Schools, one contains 9 males and 11 females, the other (commenced
1821), 2 males and 10 females, in both of which the children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Two Day and Sunday Schools, one a Lancasterian School (commenced 1828), attended by 70 males daily, and 40 males and 40 females on Sundays: this School has no charitable assistance at present, and is solely supported by weekly payments of twopence from each scholar; the other (commenced 1833), is supported by voluntary contributions, and contains 45 females.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.