Description

Description of Walton Parish from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This is a small parish of 757 acres, of the rateable value of £1,032. The number of its inhabitants is about 90. It is watered by the Lovat. The village, situated about 2 miles N.N.E. From Fenny Stratford, and 3.5 miles S. from Newport Pagnell, is small, but remarkably pretty. It contains two farm-houses of superior class, and a few neat cottages. The place is famous for the growth of walnuts, of which there are many hundreds of trees in a flourishing condition.

Walton Hall, the seat of Miss Pinfold, is a spacious and elegant structure, of brick, stuccoed, with a fine stone portico at the south front. After Sir Thomas Pinfold's purchase, the greater part of the Manor-house was pulled down, and the house of Mr. Gilpin's was fitted up and made the dwelling-house of the Pinfold family. In 1830, Charles Pinfold, Esq. Built the present mansion, which is surrounded by upwards of 60 acres of well wooded grounds.

The farm-house in the village, now occupied by Mr Thomas Wilson, is a large ancient building, which, in 1855, underwent a thorough restoration. It was formerly the Manor-house. The house how now a modern aspect. The gardens attached to it are planted with choice shrubs and flowers.

The Benefice is a Rectory in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and John Green Esq. The church was divided between two Rectors; but it was agreed that there should be only one Incumbent, and that the different patrons should present alternately. The living is rated in the King's Books at £8 9s. 7d, and is worth about £250 per annum. The Rector is the Rev. George Wingate Pearse.

{/tabs