Water Stratford

Introduction

Church: St Giles

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 1102

Easting & Northing: 465234

Grid Ref SP650340 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Water Stratford PARISH St Giles
Etone NAMES name for Eaton in Domesday Book in 1086
Newbottle Hill NAMES name for Newbottle in 1639
Stradford NAMES name for Water Stratford in Domesday Book in 1086
Stratford ad Aquam NAMES name for Water Stratford in 1542
Newbottle PLACE within the parish, now lost
Waterhall PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 143
1811 160
1821 167
1831 186
1841 172
1851 179
1861 179
1871 227
1881 188
1891 137
1901 113
1911 135
1921 119
1931 105
1941 N/A
1951 226
1961 99
1971 87
1981 85
1991 107

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Water Stratford   St Giles   Baptisms   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Water Stratford   St Giles   Marriages   1597   1902   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Water Stratford   St Giles   Burials   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SMITH JACKSON WATSON WATSON
2 HICKMAN WATSON GREAVES GREAVES
3 CROSSE COOPER JONES JONES
4 PATSELL MAY TOMPKINS PEARSON
5 FRANKISH HARRIS PEARSON TOMPKINS
6 POLLARD SMITH MANSFIELD JACKSON
7 COX NELSON LINES SMITH
8 SAVIGE ADAMS WHITEHEAD LINES
9 MILLWOOD MORRIS CLIFFORD COOPER
10 HULL CARR FRENCH MANSFIELD

Description

Description of Water Stratford parish from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This place has situation on an old Roman road. The parish is on the borders of Oxfordshire, the banks of the Ouse, and the branch of the Buckinghamshire Railway from Winslow to Brackley and Banbury. Area, 1,082 acres; population, 179; rateable value, £1,174. The soil is stony, intermixed with gravel and clay.

The village is small and compact, and stands delightfully on an eminence gradually sloping down to the river Ouse. It is distant 3.5 miles W. by N. from Buckingham.

The Manor-house in the village is a large dwelling substantially built of stone. One of the chimney shafts bears the date “1695.” Opposite the south front is a spacious garden walled all round, in which foundations of buildings have been frequently met with. The house is now a farm-dwelling in the occupation of Mr Benjamin Lines.

The Living is a Rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £7 0s 5d., and returned at £400 per annum. The tithes have been commuted for £310 15s., and there is 38A. 26P. Of glebe land. Patron Edward Hore Chawner, Esq., Rector, Rev. Joseph Bosworth, D.D. (Professor of Anglo Saxon, in the University of Oxford). The advowson anciently belonged to the Priory of Luffield.

The Rectory House and grounds adjoin the churchyard on the north. The house is an ancient structure covered with thatch, with a modern part added, which is slated. It has recently been repaired and beautified by the present Rector, and is delightfully situated and commands very pleasant prospects.

The school is held in a picturesque building, the walls of which are covered with ivy, and the roof with thatch. Buffers Hold Hamlet. - This place consists of a roadside public house and four or five cottages, about 1.5 mile from the parish church. The name is a corruption of Buffalo's holt, or hold, so called by the country folk, because the Duke of Buckingham formerly kept some of those animals there.

Education

Water Stratford Parish (Pop. 186)

One Sunday School, in which 12 males and 14 females receive instruction at the expense of the incumbent;

also a Lace School for 14 females.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.