Penn Street


Church: Holy Trinity

Hundred: Burnham

Poor Law District: Amersham

Size (acres):

Easting & Northing: 492196

Grid Ref SU920960 Click to see map


Names & Places

Penn Street PARISH Holy Trinity



Penn Street is situated on the south of the road between High Wycombe and Amersham near Penn Wood.

Penn House in the village is the home of Lord and Lady Howe and is surrounded by gardens, park and farmlands. Penn House Estates are the principal land owners in the village, which includes Penn Street farm. Grove House, which stands in the grounds, is the old coach house and has the original archway to the stables which are now garages.

Holy Trinity Church built in 1849 has many connections with the Howe family. It is thought likely that the building of the church came from a suggestion made by Queen Adelaide who, when she was visiting Penn House, said it would be an idyllic setting. She used to rest under an oak tree which is now in the church car park and is still called Queen Adelaide's Oak by the villagers. The church has an octagonal tower and 150 ft spire built of oak shingle. The flag from the flagship of Sir William Howe, commander of the British Fleet which defeated the French Fleet off Brest in 1794 hangs in the chancel. When King Edward VII visited Penn House he worshipped in the church and a brass plaque commemorates the fact.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Description of Penn Street from J.J.Sheahan, 1861.

This is a hamlet in the parish of Penn, which, in 1850, was formed into an Ecclastical District. The village, which is long and scattered, is situated in one of the beech-wood glades of this locality, about 1.5 mile N of Penn, and 2.5 S.W. from Amersham. The new parochial district includes portions of Amersham and Little Missenden.

The District Church (Holy Trinity) was erected in 1849, from a design of Ferrey, at the sole expense of Earl Howe. It is a beautiful little cruciform structure with a central octangular tower, surmounted by a high spire, of wood, covered with slate. The tower contains three bells, and is supported by four arches resting on handsome columns.

The National School, which was rebuilt by Earl Howe, in 1849, is endowed with £33 per annum, the produce of £1000 left for educational purposes, in 1750, by Sir Nathaniel and Mrs Eleanor Curzon.