Soulbury

Introduction

Church: All Saints

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 4226

Easting & Northing: 488227

Grid Ref SP880270 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Soulbury PARISH All Saints
Braggenham NAMES name for Bragenham in 1500
Chelmscott NAMES name for Chelmscote in 1925
Chemscourt NAMES name for Chelmscote in 1825
Holedndone NAMES name for Hollingdon in Domesday Book in 1086
Hollington NAMES name for Hollingdoon in 1826
Holynden NAMES name for Hollingdon in 1500
Liscombe NAMES name for Liscomb in 1925
Lyscum NAMES name for Liscomb in 1766
Soleberie NAMES name for Soulbury in Domesday Book in 1086
Sulbury NAMES name for Soulbury in 1526 & 602
Wainscoat Farm NAMES name for Winscott
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST Chapel Hill. First Mentioned: 1831. Later cottages.
Bragenham PLACE within the parish
Broad Oak PLACE within the parish
Chelmscote PLACE within the parish
Hollingdon PLACE within the parish
Liscomb PLACE within the parish
Rammemere PLACE within the parish
Winscott (Fm) PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 526
1811 515
1821 547
1831 578
1841 615
1851 628
1861 589
1871 551
1881 475
1891 510
1901 550
1911 474
1921 466
1931 499
1941 N/A
1951 478
1961 486
1971 562
1981 701
1991 671

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Soulbury   All Saints   Baptisms   1659   1666   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Soulbury   Wesleyan Methodist   Baptisms   1816   1837   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Soulbury   All Saints   Baptisms   1595   1883   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Soulbury   All Saints   Marriages   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Soulbury   All Saints   Burials   1624   1893   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 CHANDLER CHANDLER ROBINSON CHANDLER
2 TURNEY TAYLOR ORCHARD ROBINSON
3 ROGERS EDWIN WHITING TURNEY
4 HOPKINS STEVENS TURNEY ROGERS
5 STEVENS SMITH MEAD TAYLOR
6 COLLINS ROGERS GURNEY STEVENS
7 TAYLOR BEDFORD CORKETT ORCHARD
8 BUCKNER TAYLER WOOLHEAD COLLINS
9 SMITH COLLINS STONE MEAD
10 BUCKMASTER MEAD GUESS SMITH

Notes

Soulbury overlooks the Ouzel Valley and consists of several half-timbered and thatched houses around a green, and an attractive church dating back to the 14th century. The village comprises of some 210 houses at present, the most notable of these being Lovetts Charity School House, built in 1724.

There are two manor houses in the parish of Soulbury, Chelms-cote Manor and Liscombe Park. Liscombe Park which is large and rambling and was built in the 16th century is set behind imposing gates on the Soulbury-Leighton Buzzard road. The Lovetts, who used to be Lords of the Manor here have a fine memorial in the Parish Church.

Robert Lovett left to the poor of Soulbury the sum of £300.00. This amounted to £540.00 when interest was added and was used to teach twenty four boys and girls a trade. The interest is now divided among the children of the village aged 12 and 18 who are in full time education to cover the costs of uniform, tuition and travel.

Soulbury used to be a farming community with the little hamlet of Hollingdon close by. However, over recent decades it has gradually become more of a commuter suburb with many residents working in London and the evergrowing Milton Keynes.

Traffic is an increasing problem in the village as many pass this way to get to Milton Keynes. A planned by-pass around Leighton Buzzard, the nearest big town, should alleviate the problem when eventually built.

Soulbury does not have ghosts and headless horsemen, but has a stone situated on Chapel Hill which is reputed to roll down Chapel Hill every night when it hears the clock strike 12 o'clock.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Soulbury, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish, with the hamlets hereinafter noticed, contains 4,460 acres, and 589 inhabitants. On the east it is, partly, separated from Bedfordshire by the river Ouse. The London and North Western Railway, and the Grand Junction Canal intersect it – the former occupying 23a. 2r. 6p.; and the latter, 13a. 3r. 3p. The rateable value of the parish is £7,732. Soulbury parish is 7 miles in length, and contains, it is said, upwards of 17 miles of roads. The village, which is situated 3 miles N.W. from Leighton Buzzard, it is about half-a-mile in length, and the houses are mostly ancient and covered with thatch. The southern end of it is pleasantly seated on the brow of a hill, from which issues a copious spring of pure water. The country around is well wooded.

The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of the Lord of the Manor, and the incumbency of the Rev. John Hart. The annual income consists of a rent-charge of £100, issuant out of the Liscombe estate, and a money payment of about £10 – of which £7 8s. is paid by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests. There is no Parsonage; the Incumbent resides at Wing.

There is a small Methodist Chapel, which was erected in 1838. The School is endowed by Robert Lovett, Esq., and the Rev. John Sambee. Twenty-four children of both sexes are instructed free in reading, writing and arithmetic; but the master has the privilege of taking private scholars to board and lodge in the house. The school-house and the master's residence form a long narrow range of red brick buildings, covered with tiles. In the centre of the building is this inscription :- “Lovett's Charity School and School-House, 1724.” The present master is Mr. William Blundy, a Licentiate of the Royal College of Preceptors. Miss Blundy is schoolmistress. Opposite the school is an immense Boulder-stone – a shapeless mass, of a very hard and durable nature.

Bragenham Hamlet
The hamlet and manor of Bradenham, or Braggenham, lies at the N.E. angle of the parish of Soulbury, about 3 miles from the parish church. A small portion of the ancient Watling Street – now forming the road from Dunstable to Fenny and Stony Stratford, passes through this place. At Bragenham was an ancient Chapel which has long since disappeared, together with the village. In the reign of Elizabeth the place was described as consisting of ten families; now it consists of one grazing farm.

Chelmscotte Hamlet
Chelmscote, or as it is normally pronounced, Chemscott, is a manor of about 300 acres, adjoining Linslade, 1.25 mile east of Soulbury village. The place consists of one farm.

Hollingdon
The hamlet of Hollingdon, of Hollenden, lies about 1 mile S.W. of the parish church, and consists of six farm and eighteen cottage residences, divided into Upper and Lower Hollingdon. The latter portion is seated in a deep hollow. The greater part of the hamlet belongs to the Liscombe estate. Holendone is mentioned in Domesday Book.

Education

Soulbury Parish (Pop. 578)

One Charity School, of which Lady Lovett, together with the clergymen of Brickhill Stewkley, Stoke and Wing, are the trustees, containing, (as the overseers believe, the master refusing to make a return) from 20 to 30 charity boys, besides other day scholars and boarders.

One Sunday School (commenced 1831), consisting of 42 males and 43 females, appertaining to Wesleyan. Methodists, by whom it is supported.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.