Stoke Hammond

Introduction

Church: St Luke

Hundred: Newport

Poor Law District: Leighton Buzzard

Size (acres): 1566

Easting & Northing: 488229

Grid Ref SP880290 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Stoke Hammond PARISH St Luke
Chaddle Barn NAMES name for Chadwell in 1826
Stoches NAMES name for Stoke Hammond in Domesday Book in 1086
Stokehamon NAMES name for Stoke Hammond in 1535
Baptist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1842
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1816
Chadwell PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 268
1811 283
1821 320
1831 323
1841 407
1851 438
1861 401
1871 369
1881 365
1891 312
1901 288
1911 271
1921 249
1931 246
1941 N/A
1951 330
1961 422
1971 482
1981 516
1991 534

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Stoke Hammond   St Luke   Baptisms   1539   1882   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stoke Hammond   St Luke   Marriages   1534   1903   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Stoke Hammond   St Luke   Burials   1538   1904   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 COOKE FOUNTAIN STEVENS STEVENS
2 FOUNTAINE SUTTON FOUNTAINE FOUNTAINE
3 SMITH HORN SIMMONS SMITH
4 HULL GRACE HORNE HORNE
5 ROGERS SAUNDERS SMITH SIMMONS
6 ROE SMITH KING FOUNTAIN
7 HAWKINS RUTLEY BRYANT SAUNDERS
8 TAYLER FOUNTAINE TURNER KING
9 PEIRCE STEVENS MORSMAN BRYANT
10 HURNDALL CHAD SCOTT TURNER

 

Notes

Situated on the main A4146 road between Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, the road through the village has a constant stream of traffic. Fast-moving cars and heavy articulated lorries thunder through this once sleepy thoroughfare, so much so that a new bypass is scheduled for 1989, when hopefully peace will reign once more in this attractive village.


The village has seen several colourful characters in its time, one being a strange parson. He lived alone in the rambling old rectory adjoining the churchyard, and preferred liquid refreshment to solid. His favourite tipple was whiskey. Villagers would see him walking up the road from the Dolphin Inn carrying an American cloth bag containing a bottle or two! As might be expected, he 'saw', and 'heard', many unusual things. Close to the church the main railway line ran in a cutting, and the reverend gentleman was convinced that engine drivers sent him coded messages on their whistles. The old rectory is said to be haunted, so perhaps this is why he took to the bottle!

Another colourful character was a landlord of the Dolphin Inn. In the days when most householders kept a few backyard hens, a spate of thefts took place. The landlord perpetuated a rumour that certain village boys were probably responsible for the crime. However, he himself was caught in the act of stealing poultry from the owner of Stoke Lodge, who clonked him on the head with a spanner, thus making the thief easily identifiable. Several days later the said landlord was found hanging by his neck from a beam in the loft of the old stables.

The Anglican church was built in the 12th century. It stands on the highest ground in the village, its east window overlooking Great Brickhill. Around the old stone walls the dead of many generations of villagers peacefully lie. An avenue of trees leading to the heavy oak door has recently been replaced with young trees. Perhaps in years to come their branches will meet overhead as the old ones did. Unfortunately there is now no-one to ring the bells. Many years ago an old blind man rang all three. By pulling the ropes with his hands, and with the other attached by a loop to his foot, he managed to call the villagers to worship.

At one time, farming, consisting of dairy herds, sheep, pigs, and poultry, was a main source of employment. Now the land has been sold off into large or small units. Arable, grass-land, and riding horses, are now considered to be more economical ways to farm. And in the days of steam trains, the railway employed a number of men. Young women mostly went into service, or were apprenticed to dressmaking. Today, residents work in a wide variety of occupations, travelling by car to local towns, and to the new city of Milton Keynes.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Description

Description of Stoke Hammond, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

The parish of Stoke Hammond, or Hamond, lies at the southern extremity of the hundred of Newport, between Great Brickhill and Newton Longville. Its area is 1,470 acres, according to the Census Report, but 1,523 by local estimation. The present population is 401; rateable value, £2,966. The river Ousel, the Grand Junction Canal, and the London and North-Western Railway, passed through the parish. The soil is gravel and clay. The village is scattered, and lies 3 miles S. from Fenny Stratford. Pillow lace is made here.

The Manor House (Stoke House) is an old building in a pleasant situation, and in the occupation of Bernard Thomas Fountaine, Esq. Stoke Lodge, the handsome residence of Bernard Fountaine, Esq., was built by the late B. Fountaine, Esq.

The Rectory is rated in the Liber Regis at £19 9s. 4.5d., and now worth about £300 a year. The tithes have been commuted for about 310 acres of glebe land. The advowson belonged to the Priory of Bradwell, but in the reign of King Henry III, it was transferred to the Bishop of the Doicse – then Bishop of Lincoln. The patronage is now vested in the Bishop of Oxford, and the Rector is the Rev. Theodore Bouwens.

The Rectory House is an ancient gable-ended but commodious residence, situated near the church. The National School, built by subscription, in 1844, is attended by about 50 children.

The Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists have each a chapel here.

Education

Stoke Hammond Parish (Pop. 323)

One Sunday School (commenced 1821), supported by subscription, in which 25 males and 17 females receive instruction.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.