Twyford

Introduction

Church: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Hundred: Buckingham

Poor Law District: Buckingham

Size (acres): 980

Easting & Northing: 466226

Grid Ref SP660260 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Twyford PARISH Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Twyford cum Charndon PARISH Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Tueverde NAMES name for Twyford in Domesday Book in 1086
Congregational NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1825. Rebuilt 1850,1897
Charndon PLACE within the parish
Poundon PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 296
1811 317
1821 367
1831 416
1841 452
1851 511
1861 429
1871 346
1881 339
1891 349
1901 340
1911 358
1921 371
1931 357
1941 N/A
1951 350
1961 430
1971 442
1981 520
1991 503

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Twyford   Assumpton of the Blessed Virgin Mary   Baptisms   1558   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Twyford   Assumpton of the Blessed Virgin Mary   Marriages   1561   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Twyford   Assumpton of the Blessed Virgin Mary   Burials   1561   1905   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 SHIPTON CHILTON HILL HILL
2 CHILTON SMITH PLANT PLANT
3 WILLIAMS HARPER HALL HALL
4 MERCER RING KING KING
5 POOLE NORTH NORTH NORTH
6 MAN WEBB HODGES HODGES
7 JOHNSON KING TEW HARPER
8 SMITH GEORGE HUGHES HUGHES
9 LAMBURNE WELLS CULLEY GEORGE
10 COLEMAN LAMBOURN HARPER TEW

 

 

Notes

Twyford with a population of approximately 550 is located in north Buckinghamshire just a mile or two from the border with Oxfordshire. It has only one road passing through the village and no major roads or motorways nearby. It is a very quiet and peaceful place in which to live.

It has a very beautiful old church dating back to the 14th century with some features of an earlier date. The tower, built around 1320, contains a modern clock and a peal of six bells. The doorway and chancel arch are both Norman and in the churchyard an ancient preaching cross can still be seen.

The village also has a few very old houses dating back to the 17th century and one that is 15th century and although many larger, modern houses have been built in recent years the village has not lost its charm. With farms and farmland surrounding it Twyford is never crowded.

Hodges is a name heard many times in the village but as in many villages the aspect of all staying in the village is rapidly changing.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

Education

Twyford Parish (Pop. 416)

Four Daily Schools, two whereof contain 30 males and 20 females (commenced 1818), for the support of which the Rev. Dr. Tatham allows £25 per annum to the master and mistress for attending them nine months in each year, they being closed during the months of June, July and August. The other two (commenced 1831), contain 11 males and 15 females, whose instruction is paid for by their parents.

Charndon Hamlet (Pop. 160)

One Daily School, in which 10 children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

Pounden Hamlet (Pop. 84)

One Sunday School, in which about 30 children are gratuitously instructed by a few females.  The children of this hamlet attend daily Schools at Twyford.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.