Whitchurch

Introduction

Church: St John the Evangelist

Hundred: Cottesloe

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1717

Easting & Northing: 480220

Grid Ref SP800200 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Whitchurch PARISH St John the Evangelist
Wicherce NAMES name for Whitchurch in Domesday Book in 1086
Primitive Methodist NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1841
Weslyan NON-CONFORMIST First Mentioned: 1808. Built 1844 to replace earlier chapel
Bolebec Castle PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 646
1811 714
1821 845
1831 928
1841 930
1851 915
1861 884
1871 799
1881 725
1891 709
1901 619
1911 625
1921 635
1931 570
1941 N/A
1951 609
1961 780
1971 729
1981 737
1991 741

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Whitchurch   St John the Evangelist   Baptisms   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Whitchurch   St John the Evangelist   Marriages   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Whitchurch   St John the Evangelist   Burials   1575   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 INGRAM RICKARD RICKARD RICKARD
2 EMARTON CHESHIRE CHESHIRE CHESHIRE
3 CHESHIRE STONE DICKENS GRACE
4 COVENTRY GREEN GRACE DICKENS
5 BEALE GRACE ADAMS ADAMS
6 EDMUNDS BULL WELCH WELCH
7 RICKARD INGRAM SHUFFILL SHUFFILL
8 RAY TOOGOOD COOK DURLEY
9 HARRIS DURLEY KIBBLE GOWER
10 GREENE FINCHER GOWER KIBBLE

 

Description

Ours is a most friendly village where many human needs are supplied by a baker, builder, grocer, post office, hairdresser, several pubs, a doctor and of course a vicar. In the past there were even more tradesmen including a blacksmith, coalman and a shoemaker who worked with both hands and a mouth full of nails!

There are many large houses but gone are the days of 'Master and Servant'. To-day most of the inhabitants, apart from the farmers, work elsewhere.
The May Queen is crowned on Market Hill and with four attendants tours the village in a splendid 1909 Motor Car. The Morris Men dance as their predecessors did and Market Hill, once a trading centre, becomes a place of great amusement. The school children plait ribbons around a Maypole in a nearby garden. A cycle race around the Mound revives something of medieval life, for on this site once stood a castle surrounded by a moat. The famous building was destroyed by Cromwell and the stones were used to repair neigbouring churches, improve roads and supply some of the necessary material to help build many of the lovely cottages in the village to-day.

In our present age cars speed through the High Street and the occupants take little notice of the Old Court building, now an hotel. Across the road is the Whittle Hole: a perennially running spring that never freezes in winter. Before tap water came to the village this was the chief water supply and men wearing wooden yokes carried buckets of water. The inhabitants of a nearby house still use Whittle Hole water and brew the best cup of tea in the village.

The village stands high and commands splendid views of the county and beyond, as Rex Whistler's painting The Vale from Whitchurch will testify.

The church is the most important building full of interest and many craftsmen's marks can be seen on the pillars. The bells in the tower, as of old, are rung by local people. Nearby stands an old house, once inhabited by monks and centuries later became tenement homes but now it is a cared-for dwelling with a lovely walled garden. Across the road stands a stone-built chapel which houses an organ once owned by the Duke of Wellington. Both church and chapel people meet together and a feeling of unity lingers. Another chapel, no longer needed, houses the fire engines and most of the fire-fighters are local people.

The Hounds always frequented the village and the old people recall King Edward VII attending a Meet at Beechmoor. To-day there are difficulties, some caused by protesters and some by modern ways of life and the pack has united with neighbours. We still see Hounds but not so often.

Whitchurch with its white stone church on the hill adds its share in so many ways to the life and charm of Buckinghamshire.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission


Education

Whitchurch Parish (Pop. 928)

Three Daily Schools, containing 45 males and 41 females, whose instruction is paid for by their parents;

One Sunday School, of the Methodist persuasion, in which 28 males and 36 females are gratuitously instructed.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.