Desborough Hundred

DESBOROUGH HUNDRED

from Sheahan, 1861:

The Hundred of Desborough (anciently Dvetenberg and Dustenburgh), situated in the south-western extremity of the county, contains 52,370 acres and is bounded on the S. by the river Thames, which divides it from Berkshire; on on the E. and N.E. by hundred of Burnham; on the N. by the hundred of Aylesbury; and on the W. by the county of Oxford.

The name of the hundred, according to Langley, is derived from "a depopulated place in the parish of West Wycombe, situated about a mile east of Wycombe, a little distance from the London road, on the right hand: its remains being still apparent on a hill called Desborough Castle."