Halton

Introduction

Halton Parish

Church: St Michael and All Angels

Hundred: Aylesbury

Poor Law District: Aylesbury

Size (acres): 1456

Easting & Northing: 487210

Grid Ref SP870100 Click to see map

 

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Halton PARISH St Michael and All Angels
Haltone NAMES name for Halton in the Domesday Book in 1086
Haulton NAMES name for Halton in 1766
Boddington Hill PLACE within the parish
Bye Green PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 159
1811 171
1821 195
1831 209
1841 198
1851 157
1861 147
1871 155
1881 195
1891 226
1901 188
1911 195
1921 1502
1931 3332
1941 N/A
1951 3102
1961 3132
1971 3117
1981 2903
1991 1972

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Baptisms   1663   1934   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Marriages   1604   1900   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
Halton   St Michael & All Angels   Burials   1606   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here

 

Schools

School Records Project

Place   School Type   Name   Start Year   End Year   Indexed   Document Type
    Halton     Class Register     Halton     19904     1904         Register

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 STAPLE BUNCE STEVENS STEVENS
2 FLEXMAN WEEDON GURNEY GURNEY
3 JOHNSON STAPLE SHARP STAPLE
4 MOUNTAGUE GOODSON WYATT SHARP
5 PILGRIME FLEXMAN BEDFORD GOODSON
6 INGLETON GURNEY NORWOOD BUNCE
7 HILL BRANDOM GAMBELL WYATT
8 BULLER WOODWARD WHITE BEDFORD
9 FENNER TURPIN GOODSON NORWOOD
10 TIMBERLAKE SWEBY MUNDAY GAMBELL

 

 

Description

Description of Halton from J. J. Sheahan, 1861.

 

This is a small parish, situated in a flinty tract on the side of the Chiltern Hills, near the border of Hertfordshire. Area, 1,452 acres, population, 157. There are about 600 acres of beach in the parish crowning the Chilterns.

The village, which is small and neat, stands 1.25 mile N. by E. of Wendover. At its north end is a gabled farm-house of wood and plaster of the date of about 1600. The Grand Junction Canal passes through the village, near its centre.

About 1720 the manor and advowson were sold by one of the Fermors to Sir Fras. Dashwood, Bart., from whom it descended to the Dashwood Kings, baronets. In 1851, the manor and estate of Halton, including the advowson of the Rectory, were purchased by Baron Lionel De Rothschild, the present lord of the soil.
The Manor House is a large stone mansion, situated in a retired situation, a little westward of the church, in well-wooded grounds. A few years ago it was the seat of the late Sir John Dashwood King; since then it has been unoccupied.
The living is a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £13 6s. 8d., and now worth £250 per annum. Patron, Baron de Rothschild; Rector, Rev. George Appleby Cuxon. The tithes were commuted in 1848.

The school is supported by Lady de Rothschild. About 40 children attend.

Education

Halton Parish (Pop. 209)

One Sunday School, wherein 12 males and 18 females are instructed at the expense of the Rector.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.