Towersey

Introduction

Church: St Towersey

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 1380

Easting & Northing: 473205

Grid Ref SP730050 Click to see map

Names

Names & Places

NameTypeNote
Towersey PARISH St Towersey
Penn Farm PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 294
1811 325
1821 367
1831 403
1841 413
1851 448
1861 449
1871 434
1881 342
1891 349
1901 305
1911 265
1921 288
1931 281
1941 N/A
1951 N/A
1961 N/A
1971 N/A
1981 N/A
1991 N/A

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Towersey   St Catherine   Baptisms   1581   1886   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Towersey   St Catherine   Marriages   1659   1835   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Towersey   St Catherine   Burials   1592   1871   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 MEAD NORTH JACKMAN NORTH
2 MEADE JACKMAN NORTH JACKMAN
3 HUNT COLLINS CHAPMAN CHAPMAN
4 JAMES CHAPMAN IVES COLLINS
5 DEANE RATFORD HIGGINS HIGGINS
6 HORSEMAN WEST WILLIAMS IVES
7 BELSON ALLNUTT LUDLOW ALLNUTT
8 ALNAT BARNARD COLLINS MEAD
9 PITCHER WOODBRIDGE HARRIS LUDLOW
10 HOWLET MEAD ALLNUTT WILLIAMS

 

Description

Description of Towersey, from J.J. Sheahan, 1861.

This parish lies in the detached portion of Ashendon hundred, situated in the hundred of Aylesbury. Its area is 1,200 acres, of the rateable value of £1,685; and the population now numbers 449 souls. The parish is bounded on the south and west by Oxfordshire.

The Village is small, and stands 2 miles E. of Thame. The line of railway now being formed, from Thame to Wycombe, passes through this place. Towersey was included with Kingsey, under the common appellation of Eye.

The Grange is now an ordinary farm-house, near to which remains a large ancient barn, which measures thirty-five yards in length, and twelve yards in breath, the walls being a yard in thickness, and the timber roof supported by eight upright pillars of oak, in two rows. Human remains have been dug up here in such numbers as to indicate a burial place; and in an orchard at the rear of the house, foundations of buildings have been met with.

A short distance north-east from the church is a particularly ancient house, now occupied by a farmer. It is built of timber and brick with projecting gables, and has two remarkable windows at one end, and clustered chimney-shafts of ingenious workmanship. Nothing appears to be known of this residence.

Under an Inclosure Act in 1822, divers open and common fields in Towersey were inclosed, when an allotment of 133a. 20p of freehold land was assigned in lieu of rectorial tithes; and 60 acres in lieu of vicarial tithes.

Towersey was appendant to the Vicarage and Church of Thame until about fifteen years ago, when it was severed from Thame, and made an independent Vicarage. The Living is worth about £100 a year, and in the gift of the Trustees of the late W.B. Slater, Esq., M.D. The Vicar is the Rev. Samuel Whitehouse Barnett.

The Vicarage House is a handsome Elizabethan building erected in 1845, at a cost of about £1,400, defrayed partly by the Trustees of the late Dr. Slater, and partly by subscription. Edward Griffin, Esq. contributed the stone. The Baptisms and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here. The National School is a small neat building, erected by the present Vicar in 1848. About 50 children of both sexes attend.

 

Education

Towersey Parish (Pop. 403)

One Sunday School, consisting of 36 males and 50 females (commenced 1819), supported by voluntary contributions, appertaining to the Baptist denomination.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.