Worminghall

introduction

Worminghall Parish

Church: St Peter and St Paul

Hundred: Ashendon

Poor Law District: Thame

Size (acres): 1510

Easting & Northing: 464208

Grid Ref SP640080 Click to see map

Names


Names & Places

 

NameTypeNote
Worminghall PARISH St Peter and St Paul
Rignald NAMES name for Rignall in 1766
Sandridge Wood NAMES name for Sandwich Wood in 1826
Spurling End NAMES name for Spurlands End in 1826
Wermelle NAMES name for Worminghall in Domesday Book in 1086
Wormenhall(e) NAMES name for Worminghall in 1806
Wormynale NAMES name for Worminghall in 1503
Wornall NAMES name for Worminghall in 1525
Wurnall NAMES name for Worminghall in 1535
Field Farm PLACE within the parish
Redding Wick PLACE within the parish
Rignall PLACE within the parish
Sandwich Wood PLACE within the parish
Spurlands End PLACE within the parish

 

Population

Population

These population figures are based on the Census results. The boundaries are those used in the particular census which may vary over time..

Note  
1801 266
1811 254
1821 314
1831 297
1841 314
1851 360
1861 354
1871 341
1881 303
1891 269
1901 247
1911 253
1921 220
1931 233
1941 N/A
1951 496
1961 314
1971 396
1981 455
1991 493

There was no census in 1941.

Records

Records

Parish  Church  Register  Start
Date  
End
Date  
Online
Search  
E-Mail
Search  
Publication  
Worminghall   St Peter & St Paul   Baptisms   1538   1901   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Worminghall   St Peter & St Paul   Marriages   1538   1912   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available
Worminghall   St Peter & St Paul   Burials   1538   1909   Yes,
click here
 
Yes,
click here
 
Not available

 

Surnames

Surnames

These were extracted from our own records and presented as a guide.

PositionBefore 1700  18th Century  19th Century  Overall Surnames  
1 TIPPING TIPPING BALDWIN TIPPING
2 PHILLIPS HAWES TIPPING HAWES
3 STEVENS BATTY WALKER BALDWIN
4 WINTER FOWLER HAWES WALKER
5 TIPPINGE WOODBRIDGE JOINER JOINER
6 TYPPING WINTER LOWE LOWE
7 STEEVENS MOTT CHADBONE CHADBONE
8 ROBERTS LOADER FRANKLIN MOTT
9 COPE RUMBALL MOTT HERRING
10 PRICE SMITH HERRING FRANKLIN

 

 

Notes

Worminghall is situated on the border of Buckinghamshire, its near neighbours being Oakley, Ickford and Waterperry.
The oldest building is the church, dedicated to St Peter and Paul. It stands in a field and is approached across a cattle grid which makes it both unusual and in wintertime, somewhat inconvenient. Architecturally, the church is a mixture of 12th, 13 th and 14th century styles. It was repaired and restored substantially in the 19th century, mainly financed by the family of Lord Clifden, who held the Manor at that time.

It is in memory of Henry King, Bishop of Chichester, that the Almshouses at the junction of The Avenue with Clifden Road were built by his son John King in 1675. Originally they housed six poor single men and four women, who received 3s 3d a week, a ton of coal at Christmas and the Bread Charity every Sunday with extra bread on Good Friday and at Easter. The men received coats, and the women dresses in alternate years. In the middle of this century, the interiors were modernised and they now comprise six dwellings. The charities are no longer maintained.

The Clifden Arms on the south west edge of the village, is an exceptionally picturesque black and white 16th century pub. The Clifden is becoming increasingly popular as a village meeting place. It hosts the fete which is held on a date as near as possible to the feast of St Peter and Paul, which was originally Worminghal’s Feast Day. The market day has long since been completely lost.
In the Second World War, Worminghall was invaded by the Royal Air Force based on the airfield adjacent to the village, flying Wellington bombers. After the war, the empty buildings were taken over by people needing homes and some of the descendants of these people were rehoused in the village and are now, of course, totally absorbed into the village. They still talk about the school bus 'going up the camp' as it used to pick up the children living in the old airfield buildings. The airfield reverted to being a farm, and its runways stored hundreds of British Leyland cars awaiting dispatch all over the world in the 1960s.

Article written by members of the Buckinghamshire Federation of Women's Institutes for the publication "The Buckinghamshire Village Book" (1987) and reproduced here with their permission

 

Education

Worminghall Parish (Pop. 297)

Two Daily Schools, in which 8 males and 8 females receive instruction at the expense of their parents.

ABSTRACT OF EDUCATION RETURNS, 1833.