The River Ouzel

I had not realised until yesterday that the small river that used to form a boundary between Linslade in Buckinghamshire and Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire eventually reaches its end in Newport Pagnell. The river rises in the Chiltern Hill near Dagnall and is only 20 miles long. For some of its length it runs beside the Grand Union Canal and at Twelve Arches in Linslade the overflow from the canal runs down into the river across the flood plain.One theory for the origin of the name ‘Ouzel’ is a historical association with the dipper, a thrush-sized bird now largely associated with upland rivers and streams, but which is featured on the town crest of Leighton-Linslade.

In prehistory, Just south of Linslade, in an area now know as Tiddenfoot, the ancient Theedway crossed the Ouzel on its way from east to west. The Romans used the route as a way to bring salt south from Droitwich. A thousand years later the crossing was known as Yttingaford and it was here that King Edward the Elder signed a treaty with the Danes of Northumberland as the river formed a boundary between the two kingdoms. A field near the spot has been renamed Peace Meadow to comemorate this. The route of the Theedway has now been lost as Linslade has also been lost to Bedfordshire due to boundary changes in the 1960s.

Buckinhamshire 1851 Statistics

Buckinhamshire 1851 Statistics

Register to read more...

Tour through Buckinghamshire

First published in 1727, Daniel Defoe wrote a description of his travels through England.

Here are the parts concerning Buckinghamshire

Register to read more...

St Mary's Church - Look Inside

St Mary's, the main church in Aylesbury can be seen from afar. Clever people have photographed inside the building and provided a link on Google Maps.

Register to read more...

Ashendon Hundred

ASHENDON HUNDRED

 

From Sheahan in 1861:

The three ancient hundreds, in Domesday Book denominated Essedene, Votesdon and Tichesele, were united in the present hundred of Ashendon popularly so called, but technically, The Three hundreds of Ashendon.

Read more: Ashendon Hundred

Aylesbury Hundred

AYLESBURY HUNDRED

from Sheahan 1861:

The division of Buckinghamshire now known as the hundred of Aylesbury is formed by the union of the three ancient hundreds of Elesberie (Aylesbury), Risberge, (Risborough), and Stane, (Stone), and still retains the formally the appelation of the "Three Hundreds of Aylesbury."

Register to read more...

Buckingham Hundred

BUCKINGHAM HUNDRED

From Sheahan 1861:

The hundred of Buckingham, which is situated on the north-western verge of the county, is bounded on the N. and N.E. by Nothamptionshire; on the E. by the hundreds of Newport and Cottesloe; on the S and S.E. by Ashendon hundred; and on the W. by the county of Oxford.

Register to read more...

Subcategories

Additional information